Information for Health Professionals
For influenza information, health professionals should view the most current clinical guidance for the 2015-2016 influenza season at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The weekly CDC FluView providing an overview of flu surveillance and related information can be viewed at this page. More information about the flu season can also be found here, and transcripts of CDC media telebriefings are also available.
- Public Health Advisories on Ebola for Health Professionals
No cases of Ebola virus disease (EVD) have been identified in Kentucky. EVD typically occurs in tropical regions of Sub-Saharan Africa and can be transmitted from one person to another. This year’s outbreak in West Africa is the largest to date. The countries affected are Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Nigeria.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued important clinical guidance recommendations in regard to EVD. For the most recent guidelines, please visit CDC website.
The Kentucky Department for Public Health has issued advisories about EVD pertaining to:
- Kentucky Department for Public Health Recommendations for Voluntary Home Quarantine for Health Care Workers Returning from Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Nigeria
- Kentucky Department for Public Health Recommendations for Enhanced Infection Control Strategies in Healthcare Settings When Providing Care for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Ebola Virus Disease
- Kentucky Department for Public Health Recommendations for Education and Risk Assessments for Students and Other Personnel for Ebola Virus Disease
To download those advisories or for additional information, visit this page.
- Public Health Alert - Increased Respiratory Illness Circulating in Kentucky Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68)
The Kentucky Department for Public Health has identified an increase of respiratory illnesses occurring in regions across the state with some residents testing positive for human Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68). To view the alert click here.
Guidance for Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) Laboratory Testing (Updated Nov. 4, 2014)